Sunday 27 March 2011

Trying Times

Dont we all have them...weeks that you want to put your head under the pillow and stay in bed for a week? Or is it just me?  I have a 10 yo son who is TRYING to cause me more grey hair than a silverback at the moment.  He has some issues we have been working on for a few years now and sometimes I wonder if all this "talking" to professionals really helps.  It seems to me it gives him a reason to be naughty and reminds me a bit of confessional time at Church...Be naughty, explain your sins and be forgiven.  All very well in theory but to a 10 yo its a get out of jail free card lol.  So I am definatley feeling my 41 yrs this week....School is becoming a nightmare for his teachers, students and him, the school receptionist asked me if he had had his medication (he's not on medication), psychologists and social workers are "do gooding" their hearts out and I still want to get in my car and drive off a cliff!

This has been happening for 4 years now and I am at the point where I have to start thinking about medication.  I have tried so hard to change everything in diets, lifestyle, councilling etc etc etc so this wouldn't be an option but its looking as though we are depleting options as the years go on.

Have any of you been down this path?  I think the idea of medicating him scares the hell out of me, but his behaviour is taking over his life, his teachers life, his brothers life and mine!

Just so you all know he doesnt have ADHD, he had some past trauma when he was 6 that has lived with us ever since.  The elephant in the room subject that is his story, not mine to tell.

On top of all that, the social worker told me its a shame I have to work fulltime as a single mother!  Oh thanks for that little bit of added guilt, as if as single mothers we dont feel enough of that, give me another helping of guilt lady!

ARGGHH!!! Lucky I still have a sense of humour LOL

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there Meegs. We are all going through the same thing with my 10 yr old grandson. (he is on medication - a last resort). Might inbox you later on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trace...its such a big decision

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey megan, I went through a similar thing with my now 20yr old. As a last resort we opted for meds, that with councilling, and the school helping by giving him tasks (setting up games at lunch & reading to the younger kids etc)seemed to help, he came off meds at 15 with drs help. He is now engaged & joining the army. He turned out to mostly be a good kid(adult). Before he could join the army he had to see phycologist to make sure no ongoing stuff. One of the things he said to the Phycologist was the meds helped me make sense of all the stuff whirling around in my brain. Each child is different, so listening to other peoples experiences might help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda...I am making him the appointment with the paediatrician and check out our options...its a battle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. tough gig, Meegs. I don't envy your position in this. But I do believe you will navigate your way with care, and will make the right decision based on all the information you gather. Hope you find relief sooner rather than later though.

    ReplyDelete